The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lupus


Five hours have passed as I lay across two seats in the waiting room of my doctor’s office. “Chanel Mitchell”, the nurse calls. I walk into the room, swollen face, a terrible migraine, and ulcers in my nose and mouth, and eye lids so swollen that I could barely see out of them. I walk into the room and lay down across the paper covered examination bed. I am in tears as my joints, stomach, and head all ache at the same time with powerful strength. The several open ulcers on my mouth and lips and my stomach ache caused my appetite to decrease resulting in a loss of ten to fifteen pounds. Doctors examine me, consult each other, refer to their medical books and continue to pace back and fourth, puzzled.  Two weeks straight in the doctors office and they have no idea what’s wrong with me. Not sure whether it was safe for me to be admitted into the hospital due to my unknown status, the doctors sent me home with no answers. Each morning I dragged myself to the doctor’s office where blood was drawn and test were taken.
 After weeks of pain and suffering from a severe sickness I was sent to a Rheumatologist where I was diagnosed with Systematic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE Lupus). Lupus is a chronic disease where the immune system makes the mistake of attacking healthy body cells. This causes; extreme fatigue, loss of concentration, headaches, joint and muscle pains, and photosensitivity and can eventually lead to major organ damage.


Diagnosed with Lupus, I began medications that had both good and bad effects on my body. I felt a lot better but the side effects seemed worse than the actual disease itself. Each day I faced dizziness, body spasms, weakness, stomach aches and a weight gain of almost 60 pounds in 4 months. The good part about it all is that my immune system was working properly and my disease was being properly treated. Through the tough times I was able to stay motivated and not let the side effects affect my everyday life. The 37 different medications a day was worth it. 
                                                    -Chanel Mitchell 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home