The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

College Preparation for Life


College Preparation for Life By Chanel Mitchell 



The other day, my mom said to me, “Aren’t you glad you are having all of these life experiences while you are in college? You are already prepared for the real world.” She’s right. I am glad. I’ve learned so much about the world and the people in. Most importantly, I’ve learned about myself. I know what is important to me, how to handle certain situations and people, what motivates me and what I want for my future. My college experience hasn’t been easy, but I managed pretty well. I’ve had low moments and moments where I felt on top of the world. What I do know is that I can recollect everything I’ve been through and pull something positive and inspirational out of it. Below I have made a list of things I’ve learned from my college experience. These are things that I can translate into my life after college and hope to encourage and inspire those who come after me.

1.      Friendship- Surround yourself with positive people that encourage you and want to see you succeed. It’s better to have a few good friends that you can trust and depend on rather than a bunch of worthless ones. Find someone who will have your back, not stab you in your back. Also, make sure you are as genuine as you would want them to be towards you.

2.      Money- Keep a handle on your finances. Save your money and do what you have to do to make your money! (IE. Get a job, Recycle etc.)  If you need to, ask your family for help. Be frugal but at the same time don’t miss out on the things you really want to do because of your finances. Money comes and money goes. You might fall short but you will always bounce back. People say that money doesn’t bring happiness but to me, that’s a lie. Of course not when it comes to material things, but money puts food on the table, a roof over your head and provides you with an EXPENSIVE education. Sounds like happiness to me! Make your money work for you. 

3.      Networking- Get to know everyone! Professors, faculty and staff, peers and their friends. Anyone in anything you are interested in, whether it’s your future profession on a hobby you enjoy. You will realize the value of these relationships. Make yourself memorable and they will definitely remember you. 

4.      If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything!!  Enough said.

5.      Procrastination- You will never remember the night that you got so much sleep. This is college, you can sleep when you are dead! Work first, sleep later.

6.      If you do not step forward you will always be in the same place. Make moves in your life. If you aren’t happy in your current position, move to another one. Complaining about how you don’t have a job......go get one. Want to advance your career....apply yourself. Feel fat....lose weight. A PLUS B Equals C!   Want something, do the work, get results.

7.      Always have the courage to ask. The worst answer anyone can say is no.

8.      Prayer and Faith-5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3 : 5-6 (King James Version) 

9.      Don’t let anyone defer you from your dreams. We all know what happens to a dream deferred.

10.    The Four Agreements
a.      Impeccable Speech
b.      Don’t take it personal
c.       Don’t make assumptions
d.      Always do your best

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home