The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I am a Woman



Though we were not friends
You stayed in my life for centuries at once
And screamed and fought with my big sister.
Watching above in the loft
I witnessed the feelings you claimed to be lost
Of which clearly existed, expressed in another form
Endlessly

Deafening bellows awoke the neighbors
But you stuck to your guns
Void of emotions, you claimed              ignorantly
As your indisputable male voice roared
Throughout the kitchen
Throughout the yard
Throughout next door
Throughout the city

            I can’t live in this house of women
            You’re all so emotional, you’d say.
            Painting your nails, doing your make-up.
            Wearing your dresses, singing your songs.
            Jesus Christ, you all and your feelings.

I am a Woman.
But it was you whose anger would reverberate throughout the streets
on any given day
Endlessly
A shout at my mother here, a table turned there
Your snide comments limitless
Booming       radiating
Changing the otherwise gay, as you’d call it, energy
A man, a mask.
A multitude of palpable passion.

Yes, I am a Woman.
But not even my emotions run that high.  

- Carmen Iben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home