The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Two Peas in a Pod

My dad and I are simply put, two peas in a pod. I’ve always been told growing up that I look just like my mom and act exactly like my dad which is absolutely true. I remember being taught in a psychology class once that there’s a theory that sometimes a child’s life is predetermined in a sense, meaning that characteristics or interests of one parent are naturally ingrained into their child’s thought process per say. Although I was a little put off by this idea, thinking that not every child is just like their parent, as I got older I began to realize I do share the same characteristics and interests as my dad.
Growing up with one older sister, my dad never got the chance to have a son which I don’t ever think bothered him. However, I remember that he put us into sports the moment we reached the minimum age requirement. My sister and I played a variety of sports including softball, which my sister loved, basketball, and volleyball, which is what I fell in love with. My dad loved that we played competitively and was always our biggest supporter. Once my sister had graduated from high school and three years later when it was my turn, I didn’t really have an idea of what I wanted to pursue in college. I knew how much I enjoyed reading and writing but it wasn’t until my dad had brought up the idea of considering majoring in English, had I thought it would be a good fit. 
It was a weird concept for me to realize that I was somewhat following in my dad’s own footsteps. We loved sports as kids and grew up extremely die hard football fans, are both obsessed with anything to do with music, and are both English majors. We also have very similar personality traits. We’re stubborn and incredibly passive and always have to be mediators in arguments. I am literally his carbon copy. It’s also nice that as I get older I find more things that relate to my dad. I love coming home on random weekends and hearing stories from his college life or getting asked questions about what I’m currently reading or learning in my English courses. He gives me insight to his younger days and always tells me whether or not he actually enjoyed British Literature or Don Quixote while he was in school.
My dad is easily my favorite person on the planet and one of my best friends. A lot of the time there is a lot going on in my life and since we’re so similar, he understands and is there to help me out when I need it. I know how proud he is of me and it’s always nice to have a helping hand when I just really don’t understand what is going in one of Chaucer’s works or need some new music to listen to while I’m writing a paper or studying for an exam. As my college life is coming to an end within a year’s time, I’m sure I’ll get more stories out of him and we’ll only become more alike.
Need to know 29 reasons why there is no bond quite like a Father and Daughter’s? Sure you do. Click here: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/18/law-aiding-whistle-blowers-puts-un-on-notice/
How does a Father/Daughter relationship or lack of one affect a woman:  http://firstthings.org/father-daughter-relationships
Watch an iconic Father/Daughter relationship in this little moment from the Parent Trap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqEZUkW9TCo

Shannon Iriarte 


                   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home