The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Friday, February 7, 2014

I Went For A Run In The Rain

I woke up today feeling like I haven’t been active enough lately. So, naturally, I decided to sleep in another hour or so. Just to make sure I would have to hurry to class. I didn’t get to eat breakfast. It was a great start to the day. I sat through a few hours of class, sitting with horrific posture the entire time. A physical therapist would cringe. Trust me, I was raised by two of them.

My mom and dad are both physical therapists, and I grew up hearing stories about how they would bike up and down California together, and run marathons, and a bunch of other stuff that I won’t ever be in the shape to do. So, with physical therapists as parents, I always felt somehow compelled to be in shape. But I have never heard of a kid who happily followed in his or her parents footsteps.

Back to today. After I got out of class, I was excited to change this pattern of inadequacy. I even talked to a few friends about surfing Friday morning. The waves are supposed to be alright, and I don’t have class all day. So, I’m at home, and I have just changed into running clothes. Then it starts raining. Awesome. I’m not motivated enough to run in the rain. And you can’t surf after it rains. I read an article about a guy that was ambitious enough to do so, and he got some kind of strange infection. Needless to say, I am not willing to risk that.

To my surprise, it stopped raining. I guess I had to go at this point. Whatever. I went, and it was still raining a little, and felt happy with myself. Not happy with the fact that I was really out of shape. Like really bad. I was struggling to go the mediocre distance I set as a goal for myself. I won’t even list it here. It’s too embarrassing. But I was happy that I was able to motivate myself to do something physical. I used to be a runner. I used to surf a lot, and work out like all the time. I don’t know why I stopped. I guess laziness is easier. Easier by a huge margin.

So now I am sore and I am trying to get all this down in some sort of coherent manner. The world must know that I am going to become more active. I will tell my parents too. They will be happy. I could go on a rant about how our generation is lazy, and how I am lazy, and how our parents did a lot cooler things than we did, but that’s not really the point. What I learned today by forcing myself to do something that I didn’t feel like doing was that it is all about the individual. 

I know that I shouldn’t compare myself to my parents. But it helps me, so I’m going to do it. If that is what it takes for me to be healthier, then so be it.


Some inspiration:







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home