The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Buried Questions

Why did you let a woman you barely knew raise me?

Why didn’t you know something was wrong when I never spoke to anyone but myself.

Why did you let us live in a place where women are second class citizens?

Why didn’t you set rules for me?

Why did you let me do all the stupid shit I did when all I really wanted was to spend time with you?

Why didn’t you spend any time with me?

Why didn’t you ever come home?

Why did you drink so much?

Why did you let me see you when you drank?

Why didn’t you teach me how to speak my own language?

Why did you make me deal with my best friends anorexia on my own?

Why didn’t you stop her from manipulating me?

Why did you let me be angry for so long?

Why didn’t you know that I woke up every morning asking why I wasn’t dead yet?

Why didn’t you know I was alone.

Why did you pass on your issues of anxiety?

Why do you let your other daughter talk to us like we are useless?

Why didn’t you learn from your mistakes?

Why didn’t you hear me when I told you something was wrong?

Why didn’t you make me eat healthier?

Why didn’t you know I stole your cigarettes when I was 13 and the only reason I didn’t decide to smoke them was because I didn’t want to be anything like you?

Why didn’t you tell me was going to be hurt so often?

Why didn’t you protect me from myself?

Why didn’t you know I was sick?

Why didn’t you know I was so close to becoming you?

Why don’t you know anything that is going on in my life?

Why can’t you name a single class I have taken in university?

Why do you only call to ask what my GPA is?

Why do you tell me everything that is wrong with me and never mention anything that I do right?

Why do you think that I am still a child when I grew up the second you decided not to take care of me.

Why do you change the subject when I mention something too serious?

Why don’t you talk to me?

Why don’t you see that my life isn’t the same as yours?

Why do you starve yourself?

Why don’t I ever see you smile?

Why am I the only one taking care of our family?

Why won’t you ever be a good role model?

Why are you cheating on mom every Wednesday?

Why are you pretending you don’t know dad is cheating on you?

Why are you always in denial?

Why didn’t you believe me when I said I wasn’t going to come back?

Why do I have to keep reminding myself to stop hoping you will ever change?

Why did you become a parent if you didn’t know what it took to be a good one?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so real, thank you for sharing. Love it.

March 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home