The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Accepting the 405 Freeway


I was born in Anaheim, California in 1990. When I was two years old, I moved to Laguna Niguel, California where I lived until I came to Loyola Marymount University. Upon moving to Los Angeles, I learned a great deal from those who are actually from Los Angeles and surrounding areas. Although Los Angeles is one of the most diverse cities in the world, there is one thing that everyone feels the same about—the 405 freeway.

Over time the 405 freeway has developed a terrible reputation among Los Angeles residents. Many people refer to the freeway as a “zoo”, or a “parking lot”. I once even heard someone refer to the highway as a “deathtrap”. In actuality, between the hours of 7:00am-10:00am and 2:00pm-7:00pm, the freeway resembles something close to a lot full of parked cars. Most people living near or regularly using the highway are aware that the conditions will be the same each day, (some worst than others) yet they still complain about the freeway. Instead of complaining about the highway’s terrible crowdedness, one must take a more proactive approach.

I use the 405 freeway on a weekly basis. Each time I know I will have to be on the highway for any period of time or and length of distance, I prepare. In order to prepare myself for the freeway I mentally note that I should expect the worst. Automatically I am prepped for the worst traffic; therefore it isn’t as bad when I actually enter onto the highway. In addition to mental preparation I also prepare myself with my iPod fully charged, and my list of calls to make during my trip. It is amazing the things I can get done! If the residents of Los Angeles learn to embrace the freeway instead of completely despising it, a lot of stress could potentially be relieved.

People who regularly use the 405 freeway must learn that the freeway will remain the same. On late nights, it is more likely that the freeway will be shut down to a single lane due to construction. Perhaps traveling at 5:00pm could be the most productive time on the 405. The stop and go traffic is at it’s heaviest during this hour. In the end the 405 is what it is, crowded, bumpy, and irritating. If you prepare and accept, the freeway could be a much happier place!

-Brittnee Wadlington

1 Comments:

Blogger Editorial Staff said...

made the mistake of hitting the 405 at 3PM today.....ugh

--Weston Finfer

April 28, 2011 at 5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home