The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

An Act of Hate or God

I grew up in a fairly unreligious family. I have been to Christian church; heard the sermons and attended Sunday school. But, I believe in karma, something beyond, something higher. Something undiscovered.

Where does one draw the line between God and reality?

I recently engaged myself in a book by Jon Krakauer called, Under the Banner of Heaven. He profoundly explores the religion of Mormonism. Let me say, I am not opposed to beliefs that differ from my own. However, this particular case makes me question the positive and negative affects of religion.

On July 24th, 1984, Ron and Dan Lafferty viciously killed their innocent baby niece, Erica, and sister-in-law, Brenda. Krauker discusses Brenda’s independent personality and hopes for her husband to have been, as well. However, they had been involved in the Mormon Church. She separated herself and husband from the deeply enthralled brothers who claimed they were hearing revelations from God. This book interested me and made me ask myself, are there people who use religion as an excuse? Ron and Dan based these murders on revelations they heard from God. It was an “act” God told them to do.

Ron Lafferty is quoted in the book saying, “It was like someone had taken me by the hand that day and led me comfortably through everything that happened. Ron had received a revelation from God that these lives were to be taken. I was the one who was supposed to do it. And if God wants something to be done, it will be done. You don’t want to offend Him by refusing to do His work.”

Like most religions, Mormons highly value family. How can Ron and Dan have convinced themselves that God would want them to kill their brother’s wife and baby daughter. Wouldn’t a traditional Mormon fight to keep their family intact? How could they cause their brother, Allen, so much agony?

I could not help, but add this except from the book. Jon Krakauer profoundly and provokingly writes:

Until that rapturous moment, however, when ‘the moon will shine from noon until nine” and Dan can shout from the rooftops that Christ has returned, he bides his time within the grim chambers of the prison’s maximum-security unit, where he has thus far spent half of his adult life. But what if the moon doesn’t shine from noon until nine? What if killing Brenda and Erica Lafferty wasn’t actually part of God’s plan but merely a crime of such staggering cruelty that it is beyond forgiveness? What if, in short, Dan got it all wrong? Has it occurred to him that he may in fact have a great deal in common with another fundamentalist of fanatical conviction, Osama bin Laden?

It is so hard to stick to my belief in accepting other religions and faiths when Ron and Dan used Mormonism as a scapegoat, a reason, a tactic. On some level it worked. It made the judge question the power of God. And, thus, Krauker titled his book Under the Banner of Heaven; saying we are under heaven, separated, we only can depend on God as much as we lead ourselves to believe.

I cannot make the argument that Christianity does not affect some in a negative way. But, where does one draw the line? When is a crime just a crime?

Krystle Aldana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home