The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Friday, January 23, 2009

"IT'S THE LAW"

In a world where crime rates are constantly on the rise why do law enforcement officers choose to focus on cell phone usage? I live in Playa Vista and in the past month every building has been broken into; crow bars have been used and dogs have been mased. Maybe this is because cops are too busy looking for people using cell phones rather than actual criminals. I understand that multitasking is not the safest thing to do while driving, but it’s not like our cell phones are the only thing that can distract us while we are operating a motor vehicle. I think people who neck-break over an accident are more of a danger to society than people who check their voicemail for thirty seconds. Whether I am watching television or driving home on the freeway, I am constantly being reminded not to talk on my cell phone. It’s almost as if they think the Amber Alert signs aren’t obvious enough with their message in huge block letters: “No Text Messaging While Driving; IT’S THE LAW”.
Well apparently, the signs are not obvious enough for me. Just last week I received my second ticket for using a handheld device while driving. I guess I am one of the millions of people who think they can beat the system and sneak a text message here and there. I understand it is the law, but I see so many people who are openly talking on their cell phones that it drives me nuts that I have gotten two tickets when my reasoning is in fact arguably valid.
The first occasion which I received my ticket was absurd. Back in July, when text messaging was still legal, I was pulled over for taking a picture of the sunset on my camera phone while at a stop light. I offered to show the officer my beautiful picture and he rudely declined. I asked him if I had taken it with my digital camera would that be illegal; the answer was no—I pause for a moment to ask you how that is any more safe? Then he had the nerve to tell me I should have lied and claimed I was texting because that would have gotten me out of getting a ticket. When my court date approached they told me I would have to go through this long process to fight it, which wasn’t worth it to me so I paid the 109 dollars and walked away defeated. I promised myself I would never get one of those tickets again and up until last week I had kept my promise.
Last week, I was picking up my friend and as I pulled up to his house I got out my phone and dialed his number to tell him I was outside. It was like I had been followed because within three seconds the cop was behind me with his lights on. First of all these two cops were extremely rude. Second, after I had been written the ticket the cop asked me if I had a problem. I asked him why I was receiving a ticket for dialing and he told me it was because I had the device in my hands. I proceeded to ask how I should go about dialing if I can’t hold the phone in my hands, to which he told me to “use my magic powers”. That was when I lost respect for the local authorities. Not only were they rude, but they were so proud of themselves for pulling me over. They acted like they had just arrested someone on the most wanted list. It amazes me how someone could be robbing a convenience store around the corner but cops are more interested in enforcing the new cell phone law. I think it is about time our state’s law enforcement reevaluated “true crime” in our neighborhood. In the meantime, I will attempt to “use my magic powers” to get out of paying my ticket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home