The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Comfort Food


It occurs around noon everyday. I recall the sizzling of the stove tops- the way the fresh aroma of barbacoa, onions, and spices wafts around the room and into your nose the second you open the door. I recall the skip in my step as I see the kind faces of Juan and Maria, and how they know exactly what I want before I even order. And before I know it I’m already in my car half way to my favorite fast food place of all time.

Yes, I have an addiction to Chipotle.

Last week, I had Chipotle for lunch or dinner Monday through Thursday. I wouldn’t have even realized that was a problem until my best friend Alex said to me, “You’ve had Chipotle four times in a row Courtney! That’s gross!”

I have to admit, I may have taken my Chipotle obsession to the extreme, but I just can’t help it! Chipotle is awesome for countless reasons. The food is exceptional and fresh, the portions are huge, the price is right, it’s fast, easy, and it fills you up. What more could you ask for!?

When I look at my massive burrito, full of chicken, rice, black beans, lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo and guac—(it practically needs two tortillas), I’m amazed that it was only 6 bucks! This is followed by the thought, ‘there is no possible way I could ever finish this!’ I’m a petite girl, and I could easily split the meal into two: have half for lunch and the other half for dinner- which if you think about it would be very budget friendly. Yet somehow, every time, to my own amazement (and at times disgust), I finish the ENTIRE thing in one sitting. Girls who go with me stare in disbelief, guys cheer me on… but then things get ugly. The one thing I hate about my love of Chipotle is that it leaves me with a ‘Chipotle baby’ in my stomach that I can’t get rid of. I go home feeling stuffed to the brink, stomach bloated and upset. The cheery step I had walking into Chipotle becomes heavy and slow. Yet, like a true addict, despite the pain I feel after, I keep going back every time! Why you might ask? Because for me, food is comfort.

Food is part of our everyday being. It is something we tie in relationship with memories, what we often plan social gatherings around, it is something we need for survival, and for some, it is an emotional support.

Chipotle provides me this comfort. It is, not having to make a decision because I already know what I want. It is the ability to easily satisfy a need. It is knowing I’ll greet a smiling face. It is savoring every taste and smell... It is simply something that takes the complication out of every day life. Especially mine.

With that said, let me leave you with these words. If you ever don’t feel like eating a burrito alone, just call me up. You know I’ll say yes.

-Courtney M. Myers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home