The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stage 4


I cupped my palms to scoop up the ice cold water running from the faucet and submerged my face into it. I needed to wake up. With my tired eyes I caught my reflection staring back at me; all the while chanting to myself in a zombie-like fashion saying “I will not pull another all-nighter again. I will not pull another all-nighter again.”

It was a typical day for me, being awakened by the sun’s rays trying to poke its way through the chilling morning clouds. I made mental notes of what I had to do throughout the day: 1) email professor 2) go to work 3) plan out life...and so on and so on; I did this for about ten minutes.

It was getting late and although I had gotten up an hour and a half before my class started, I still managed to be pressed for time. I dumped my notebook and all its contents into my bag, scorched my tongue in an attempt to gulp down my tea, and bolted out the door.

The air was crisp, so crisp that it quenched my skin’s thirst. There was a soft breeze that flirtatiously wrapped itself around each leaf clinging to some branches near by; they began to dance. A stray cat stopped and stared at me with his eyes fixed on mine. Its eyes were yellow; it matched the hue of the sun, which was slowly creeping its way to the middle of the atmosphere. All the while some birds too lazy to fly hopped around on the pavement, their furry round bellies almost devouring their tiny feet.

I took my eyes off the peaceful scenery—I can’t remember why; there was just something that distracted me. Without any hesitation, I proceeded to continue my journey to class. As I was walking the wind picked up, causing the clouds to cover the sun’s radiance. There was a chill in the wind, and in turn it sent a chill down my spine. I turned the corner and before I could react, a dark figure tackled me as does a football player to his opponent. I couldn’t breathe. And then a sharp object came in contact with my side, deeply piercing the flesh that once held my figure together. I didn’t know whether the blood had crawled down my legs or I had wet myself; it didn’t matter, all that mattered was getting away. I screamed, but the figure muffled my cries. A tear escaped my eye, rolled down my cheek, and slid down the creases of his fingers still clutched around my mouth.

No one came. I was afraid for my life. He then released his hand over my mouth and migrated towards my neck: he was trying to choke me. My eyes were pulping out as he squeezed my neck tighter and tighter...I couldn’t take it anymore. I started wiling out; kicking and screaming, scratching and clawing; somehow getting away. I ran. And as I ran a bright light flickered in my face, completely blinding me. I shielded my eyes, and when I opened them back again....I...I...



woke up.

Jennifer Vassel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home