The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Monday, February 9, 2009

I Learned from the Children

Ralph Waldo Emerson once stated, “It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” This sentiment accurately captures the great joy and sense of accomplishment that I have experienced in serving those less fortunate than myself in my community.
Each summer during high school, I tutored underprivileged children in math and science in two elementary schools, served as a reading buddy to non- English speaking children at a local library, and functioned as a general library educator for a library-based literacy program.
Working with children who are disadvantaged economically, socially, and culturally in these settings has heightened my appreciation for my own good fortune and has increased my sensitivity to the plight of those marginalized in my fairly affluent community.
This service has also been an avenue of personal growth for me. I learned courage, humility and patience from Muhammad, a nine-year-old boy from Pakistan whose deformed right hand and missing left arm made it difficult for him to do his summer school assignments. Tears almost came to my eyes each summer morning as I watched an aide lift Muhammad from his wheel chair to his desk in a classroom. What a joy it was for me after working several weeks with Muhammad to observe a grin that came after I praised him for his hard work on a project.
From Betty, a six-year-old girl from Somalia, I learned perseverance and gratitude. Betty, her mother and three young siblings rode a bus every Tuesday night to attend a literacy program at the local library. Betty struggled to learn English and to read, but she never gave up. At the end of the six week program, Betty proudly sounded out all the words in a picture book.
Finally, Sarai, a five year old from El Salvador, tested my working knowledge of Spanish. In a summer kindergarten class, Sarai refused to heed the teacher’s directions as she reviewed the basic colors only in English. Exasperated, the teacher asked me to work individually with Sarai. After several failed attempts, I decided to say each color in Spanish and then in English. Sarai smiled after hearing me speak Spanish and quickly repeated her colors in Spanish and then in English. The teacher expressed amazement. By trying a different approach and gaining Sarai’s trust, I was able to enhance her English language skills.
In many ways, the children who I have been privileged to serve are like “strangers” in this country. By welcoming these “strangers”, and helping them to assimilate in this country by providing them with the language and literacy tools they need to succeed, I am helping my neighbor. I am trying to follow Jesus’ command, “whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me” (Matthew 25:40).

- Monica Augustyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home