The Truth Board

A Blog by the Editors of
The Truth About the Fact: An International Journal of Literary Nonfiction

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

The Truth About the Fact: A Journal of Literary Nonfiction is an international journal committed to the idea that excellence in the art of letters can play a vital role in transforming the planet we share.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Game Night

It was Saturday night as I sat in the dark room on our first floor. I looked around suspiciously, all business. Those around me eyed the room, equally as alert, equally as suspicious. I steadied my hand as I touched my pencil to paper and closed my eyes. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

“Ready… Go!”

Hint: A Thing

And we were off. Three teams of four people, each with a designated artist, attempting to sketch an image with our eyes closed. This was what my Saturday night had turned into. This was Cranium’s sensosketch card.

“A spring! Smoke! A fire engine!?.... A convertible?”



Earlier that day I hardly expected that later I’d be participating in a full-fledged game night. When the idea was proposed to me, I was skeptical; I thought, aren’t game nights for kids or groups of middle-aged couples? I gave in when I realized some friends were actually interested, and I went about getting the essentials for such a night: two-dollar wine, cheese, crackers, and every cheap dip from guacamole to olive tapenade.

A couple games of Apples to Apples later, and I was warming up to the idea of Game Night; a quick game of Things and three rounds of Catchphrase, and I was hooked. How could I have overlooked such a simple concept when searching for mellow weekend plans? In a college world of constant parties, bars, or clubs, grasping for that chance to be defined as cool or adult, it’s easy to forget about going back to the basics. A few games and I witnessed a group of college students reverting right back to childhood mode.

Sitting there with my heart racing, trying to control spurts of unadulterated, genuine laughter, I was having more fun than I’d had in a long time. I looked around at a group of good friends and felt like I’d stumbled onto something great. Over the course of the night I had meaningful talks, had pure fun, made real connections, with people I love to be around.

Whatever way you’re able to get good conversation and true connection with people you care about, I encourage you to go for it. And sometimes you just might have to go back to the basics.

Hint: Game Night is a good way to break the ice.

Corinna Ace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home